Saturday, March 8, 2014

Sand Scoop Modifications.

I am planning on going back and metal detecting the Slab in Llano again in about two weeks.  This will be after Spring break is over and hopefully there will be some new stuff on the ground.   I am also planning on make a how to video about acid testing gold and silver items.  

I did modify my cheap sand scoop a little.  I added a piece of metal at the opening to the handle to strengthen and welded a few spots I thought needed more strength.  This piece of metal was originally going to be a knife.  I cut up an old hand saw and this was one of the left over knife blanks.  With this addition the bottom part of the scoop does not deform any when scooping through hard material.  Also it now will support some weight if I were to slip and instinctively used it to catch myself.

 I also added a few smaller holes at the bottom.  I noticed when I was using it that a little bit of dirt would stick in these areas.  These holes a a lot smaller then the factory ones but they should work well to prevent the build up.   I did not want to make the holes too big or put too many more into it for fear of weakening it too much.  It is made out of some pretty thin metal to begin with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment